Saturday, October 04, 2008

I write because my passion is family history. I write to inspire you to make family history fun...after all it is the story of how you became you


I traveled to Fountain Hills today for the book event and art walk at the Fountain business plaza. The drive was beautiful as were the fountains and the plaza. Authors and artists were out in force. Marilyn McGrath and Joy Collins continue to be two of my favorites.



I love to talk with people about family history. I shared tips on how to celebrate family history month this October. I met many people who use ancestry.com and LDS sites. I gave free coloring sheets to help families spend quality coloring time with their children to share their stories. And, I inspired the author at the next table, Marty Frees, to write his story for his son for Christmas. As he said, who wants to give another gift someone doesn't need? It's time to give a gift of a lifetime.



Another friend, Dana Davis, was there and we shared genealogy stories and DNA updates. Another writer told me about her next book which will feature author answers to the question: "Why do you write?"

I quickly wrote my answer and gave it to her. I wrote:

"I write because my passion is family history. I write to inspire you to make family history fun...after all it is the story of how you became you."

I think that says it all.






Now I am home, relaxed, sitting in my lounge chair, wearing my Prince Fielder t-shirt, and re-energized on my writing objectives. Family History month is here, and October baseball, such a staple of the Dalhaimer and Bartkowski family. I am ready to watch more baseball history to unfold for my team, the Milwaukee Brewers.

Let the game begin.

3 comments:

Ashley Bartkowski said...

Lorie should definitely get blogger and write a book on our family's love of baseball because it is seriously her life. I had fun there and am excited to see how Nov. 1 turns out.

Unknown said...

It was great seeing you there! I may be a bit biased, but Maggie's Adventure was definitely one of the coolest books there. I lvoe the idea of taking a time out and just coloring and letting the world jsut go away for a bit.

Energetic Storyteller, Family Historian & Grebel Lover said...

Thank you for the compliment! I hope I encouraged a few of the people to color!

Dead Reckoning, New Web site, and New Blog

  Great News!  My latest book is now available.  Dead Reckoning is my attempt to share our heritage with the next generation. It’s about a ...