Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Midges welcome us to Oregon...


We arrived in Medford last night only ten minutes behind schedule. Highway 140 east to Klamath Falls was a curvy two-lane path lined with towering Ponderosa pines.

Green had replaced the heat, brown and dust of the desert. Clear blue lakes and rivers replaced dry washes and basins.
As we approached Klamath Lake, a swarm of what looked like dark rain pelted the car. First, once, then again, and again. After a few more swats, we realized the swarms were bugs.
Today my brother-in-law told me the bugs are midgies, or midges as I found on the internet. Midges live for only 24 hours. Unfortunately for them my rental car, a blue Chevy HHR, shortened their life span considerably as the photo shows.

More to come on my visit to Oregon and family soon.

No comments:

Dead Reckoning, New Web site, and New Blog

  Great News!  My latest book is now available.  Dead Reckoning is my attempt to share our heritage with the next generation. It’s about a ...