Saturday, May 09, 2009

AHSGR Arizona Sun meeting today...

It's off to the Foothills Library for the Arizona Sun meeting which starts at 1 p.m. I'm looking forward to see good friends, learnof news on our genealogical searches, and hear Roswita Niessner speak about growing up as a German Russian in Germany.

Roswita has a unique history among German Russians. Most who survived the famines and the Bolsheviks came to the Americas. Others who remained in Russia were sent to Siberian work camps. I am interested to hear of her experiences and will be sure to write about it when I return.

On a bittersweet note, two longstanding members of our organization, Herb Babitzke and Golden Purvis, have passed away since our last meeting. I did not have the opportunity to know Golden well, but Herb was instrumental in encouraging my involvement with this organization and I shall be forever grateful. Both of these men are greatly missed. The Arizona Sun Chapter sends our condolences to both of their families.

No comments: