Friday, October 15, 2010

Did I say Florika?

OK, you know my dilemma on my great great-grandmother's first name. If not, just review the last couple of entries and you will understand.

After I wrote the last blog, about someone from Reinwald born in 1859 with a similar name, I was informed Maria Florika Reimer's name was actually Maria Flonika Reimer. So, I read the original name in English but completely missed the correct spelling. The r and the i really blended together for me.

I know what you are thinking. You think I was a passenger list recorder or a census taker in a former life. At this point, with reading Florika for Flonika, I think you could be right.

All this does is support my point. Even in English I messed up the name. I think I have followed a time honored tradition of Germans, Russians, Germans from Russia and Americans messing up this name but I did it in my native language. I hope I have now set the record straight.

No comments: